Wednesday 5 February 2014

Avril Lavigne: Album Review

I know this album has been out for a while now, but as we only just started up this blog I thought I'd do a review. You probably don't know this, but I am a massive Avril Lavigne fan; so you can imagine how excited I was when this amazing album came out...I've numbered the songs in order of my preference. Enjoy!


1. Let Me Go
This is one of my favourite songs of all time, and it made me want to take up piano again. The vocals are flawless, the lyrics are perfect. About one minute into the song, her husband Chad Kroeger comes in. I think his voice fits perfectly into the song, and their voices are amazing together - she has a lighter, more delicate voice and he has a deeper voice. Perfect.

2.17
This song is is a great pop-rock anthem which showcases Avril's amazing vocal range and has a nostalgic feel. Every chorus makes you want to dance and sing along, so it's a winner for me. A great, upbeat, feel-good track.

3. Rock 'n' Roll
This is by far one of my favourite songs from the album. I love the cheerleader-style beat, and I love the meaning as Rock is my favourite type of music! I think its a great, fun song and great to sing along to (badly in my case).

4. Give You What You Like
I love the relaxed beat of this song, and the simple structure. Her vocals are slightly deeper and more controlled - It shows how much her voice has matured. A beautiful song

5. Hush Hush
This is a gorgeous song about moving on from a breakup. Her voice is beautiful and delicate in the verse, but becomes stronger in the chorus. The simplicity makes it even more beautiful; one of my favourites.

6. Bad Girl
I'm not sure about Marilyn Manson on this track, but I love the echoey filter on her voice - it reminds me a tiny bit of arctic monkeys or muse - and this one is definitely a rock song.

7. Bitchin' Summer
I do love this song, but as the album came out in November, this song, along with Sippin' On Sunshine, is a little harder to relate to. I can imagine it being a being a big hit in summer, and it is a great song to lift your mood.

8. Hello Heartache
A beautiful, heartfelt breakup ballad - not boring though, due to the background music and fairly fast-paced beat.


9. You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet
I do love this song, but i think it might be one too many teen-pop songs on this album - cute though.

10. Here's To Never Growing Up
I'm not quite as keen on this one as I think it is a bit repetitive and was maybe not the best choice for a first single. I do think it has a great message though, and a fun beat - you've got to love Avril for staying true to herself after all this time.

11. Falling Fast
The first thing that I couldn't help noticing about this song was that it reminded me a lot of 'Fast Cars' by Tracy Chapman. I don't know if this was intentional, but it really is very similar. It's a beautiful song with soft background music, and it's easy to listen to.

12. Sippin' On Sunshine
I think this will be a great song to sing live - with the audience singing along with every 'hey!' - a great summery anthem

13. Hello Kitty
This one is not really my taste; I love that she is experimenting with different  music styles like dubstep, but it's just not really my style. 

So in general, I loved the album, but there is maybe one too many nostalgic teen-pop songs; other than that, an amazing 5th album! 

Love, 
Pea One ;)
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment